Is MailScanner affected by the Redhat bug

Dave Jenkins davejenx at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 18 14:46:25 IST 2008

2008/9/18 Randal, Phil <prandal at herefordshire.gov.uk>:
> Julian Field wrote:
>>> my Centos 5 testbox complained about version conflicts concerning
>>>
>>>  perl-Math-BigInt
>>>  perl-IO
>>>  perl-bignum
>> Delete these RPMs, upgrade Perl, then just re-run the MailScanner
>> installer and it will put back the bits it needs. This is pretty
>> quick and harmless.
>>
>> Jules
>
> On my CentOS 5.2 boxes, I had to
>
>  rpm -e perl-Math-BigRat perl-Math-BigInt perl-bignum perl-File-Temp
> perl-IO
>
>  yum update
>
> and then re-run MailScanner's installer.

The conflicts that I saw on CentOS 5.2 all related to man files, e.g.
----
  file /usr/share/man/man3/Math::BigFloat.3pm.gz from install of
perl-5.8.8-15.el5_2.1 conflicts with file from package
perl-Math-BigInt-1.89-1.el5.rf
  file /usr/share/man/man3/Math::BigInt.3pm.gz from install of
perl-5.8.8-15.el5_2.1 conflicts with file from package
perl-Math-BigInt-1.89-1.el5.rf
----

I've been getting similar errors, but the other way around, from yum
on CentOS 5.2 and RH5 servers when trying to install updated
perl-Math-BigInt etc packages from rpmforge.

Because the conflicts only involved man files, contrary to my usual
caution I used
  rpm -Uhv --replacefiles
to install the new perl rpm. All seems to be well and I'm assuming
there's no need in this case to re-run the MS installer.

Wouldn't it be nice though if the conflicts could be avoided? E.g. if,
in the same way that perl-Math-BigInt's
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/Math/BigFloat.pm can coexist with
perl's /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/Math/BigFloat.pm and be chosen ahead of it
thanks to @INC, the man files could coexist in different locations
instead of conflicting.

Dave