Error on start cannot open config file

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 22:45:18 IST 2008

2008/9/15 Kate Kleinschafer <kate at rheel.co.nz>:
> Hi all,
>
> I have just done a fresh install of CentOS 5.2 and installed postfix (then
> done rpm -e sendmail) clamav and MailScanner.
> When I try and start MailScanner (after stopping the postfix service) I get
> the following error:
> MailScanner: Cannot open config file /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf,
> Permission denied at /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Config.pm line 657.
>
> If I change in MailScanner.conf Run as user = postfix to Run as user =
> then it works.
>
> I would really appreciate any advice on how to get this operational.
>
> Thanks
> Kate
>
> Apologies if this comes through twice - I thought I had changed my list
> email but it doesn't seem to be working.

Your postfix user cannot read your config file/directory, likely. Test with
su - postfix -s /bin/bash
and then use cd and "ls -d" to try access /etc/MailScanner ... and
ultimately reading MailScanner.conf with "less" or something.
When using an MTA that runs as an unprivileged user, permissions is everything.
Also check that you've either turned off SELinux or amended it so that
it doesn't get in the way:).

Cheers
--
-- Glenn