AW: Using Spamd rather than the SpamAssassin Library

Drew Marshall drew.marshall at technologytiger.net
Tue Sep 9 22:03:44 IST 2008

On 8 Sep 2008, at 17:27, Matt Hampton wrote:

> Drew Marshall wrote:
>>
>> Interesting... So there is the potential that with say 10 children,
>> each with 20 messages that I am going to need 200 SA children? I
>> fear I will have run out of memory by then! Hmm...
> Nope - they are processed sequentially - each batch will open a
> connection for the first message, wait for the response, close the
> connection, open the connection for the second message etc
>
> Once each message is finished there is a short delay whilst the
> server thread shuts down (updating bayes etc) before it can be used
> again. So it is possible for more than one child to be open per MS
> Child.

I had to resort to the non spamd config today. I just plain ran out of
server before I had run out of messages :-(

I hit my max SA children and with the box starting to swap and the
load average at 18+ decided I ought to do something about it. In order
to look at the load issue, can your changes allow SA to be fed via
socket as that would save some overhead? I have also amended the time
out per child as I am sure there is something fishy going on with SA
scanning some types of mail. I see the spamd route as giving me a good
chance to catch the culprits as I should be able to time out one child
and therefore one message.

Drew

--
In line with our policy, this message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous
 content by Technology Tiger's Mail Launder system <www.mail-launder.com>

Technology Tiger Limited is registered in Scotland with registration number: 310997
Registered Office 55-57 West High Street Inverurie AB51 3QQ