Looking for a test mail generator (unthreaded)

Stephen Swaney steve at fsl.com
Mon Sep 8 17:34:58 IST 2008

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> I am not having a good day today.  Twice.  In 5 minutes...
>
> Unthreadjacked:
>

> To test a new installation before a cutover, I'm trying to find (out
> whether anyone has written) a program that can send a bunch of email to a
> SMTP server, logging what it does (both logical and session level), so
> that I can check that the results are what they should be.
>
> Optimally, I'd like something that worked like this:
>
> Provide it with 4 or 5 pieces of random spam, and 4 or 5 pieces of ham,
> and have it try to -- in random order -- send each of the message bodies
> to a) one or more provided valid addresses and b) one or more random
> non-valid addresses on the provisioned domain, and c) one or more
> completely random addresses.
>
> The goal, of course, is to make sure that what should pass through passes
> through, what should bounce bounces, what shouldn't backscatter doesn't,
> and what should deliver does.
>
> Has anyone already written this?  I'm sure perl or python provides the
> modules, but I'm not good enough at either to do it myself.  I could
> probably hack around something that does 60-70% of it into what I wanted,
> though.
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra

Jay,

Look at http://www.snertsoft.com/sendmail/roundhouse/

I quote from Anthony Howe's site:

"This is an SMTP multiplexer, which takes the input from an SMTP client
connection and copies it to one or more SMTP servers. Intended as means
to debug and test different mail server configurations using a
production mail server's live data stream."

You can test with your real mail stream:)

Steve

Steve Swaney
steve at fsl.com
Cell: 202 352.3262