Strangest Thing...

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 14:29:43 IST 2008

2008/9/3 Adam Gross <agross at gcpsite.com>:
> Today I come in to find my MailScanner boxes sitting at a steady 85% CPU
> but doing nothing.  After taking a peak in syslog I quickly discovered
> that for some reason MailScanner couldn't write to my quarantine
> directory!  With a quick chown (chown postfix:www-data
> /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine on Ubuntu/Debian) I was instantly back
> in business and my queues flushed dry within a few minutes.  I haven't
> logged into my MailScanner boxes in weeks and came in to find this today
> which I thought to be quite strange.  I wanted to pass this along to the
> list just in case I'm not the only one coming in to this strangeness
> this morning.
>
> -Adam

Sounds a bit like the "fun" one can get with a Mandriva system with a
high security setting... The msec scripts will then
once/day/week/month do some tests and ... revert your painstakingly
set permissions. Sigh. The trick is to either lower security settings
or go into the msec setup files and amend things...
Could perhaps be something similar, in your case?

Cheers
--
-- Glenn