CVD extraction failure

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Tue Sep 2 21:02:20 IST 2008

Glenn Steen wrote:

> 2008/9/2 Steve Campbell <campbell at cnpapers.com
> <mailto:campbell at cnpapers.com>>
>

>     Glenn Steen wrote:
>

>         2008/8/29 Steve Campbell <campbell at cnpapers.com
>         <mailto:campbell at cnpapers.com> <mailto:campbell at cnpapers.com
>         <mailto:campbell at cnpapers.com>>>
>

>            I hate to ask a question about old version stuff, but we're
>         in the
>            middle of some changes here that just do not let me get
>         around to
>            updating MS. I'm running *MailScanner has detected a possible
>            fraud attempt from "*MailScanner has detected a possible
>         fraud attempt from "4.58.9." claiming to be* 4.58.9.
>         <http://4.58.9.>" claiming to be* *MailScanner has detected a
>         possible fraud attempt from "4.58.9." claiming to be* 4.58.9.
>         <http://4.58.9.> <*MailScanner warning: numerical links are
>         often malicious:* http://4.58.9.>
>

>            I started updating the world of Clam/SA and got stopped
>         before I
>            could get to MS. I now see "ERROR: CVD extraction failure"
>            messages in my log file. I'm assuming this has to do with new
>            ClamAV/ old MS and did my best to try and find where the
>         message
>            is coming from. Couldn't find a clue in any of the update
>         scripts,
>            etc.
>
>            Any help would be appreciated, and any explanation as to the
>            severity of the messge would be gratefully appreciated also.
>
>            Thanks
>
>            Steve Campbell
>
>         Do you get the same from freshclam? The clamav-autoupdate
>         basically just run freshclam...
>         Perhaps you have multiple clamav installed (or "leftovers"
>         from more than one)? Check your virus.scanners.conf for the
>         relevant one you are using:). As always, one install of the
>         latest stable is best.
>         The error itself is ... pretty sever, I'd think, since you
>         will lack proper updates until fixed.
>
>         Cheers
>         --
>

>     Thanks Glenn,
>
>     I checked freshclam, ran it manually, and found that the log file
>     wasn't created. I touched the file, re-modded it to 777, and ran
>     freshclam, and all was well. But I am still getting the CVD
>     errors. I had checked the update-wrapper and autoupdate scripts
>     before inquiring and saw nothing that looked wrong. For all I
>     know, this may not even be Clam, now that I think about it, as the
>     error log entry just says MailScanner, so it could be Bitdefender
>     instead. I removed bitdefender and reloaded MS, but still am
>     seeing the error, so I believe it is Clam related.
>
>     Thanks.
>
>     Steve
>
> Do you run clamavmodule? Then I'd guess at a Mail::Clamav/libclamav
> mismatch... What version of clamav did you move to?
>
> Cheers
> --
> -- Glenn

Nope, I run ClamAV. I upgraded to the last 0.93 before they announced
the 0.94 version. I used Julian's install.sh. When I run freshclam -v it
indicates I have the latest main.cvd and daily.cld according to the
ClamAV website. I'll look around their website (don't know why I didn't
do that first) and see if they have a FAQ or something.

Thanks again.

steve

Steve