OT - GreetPause question

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at colby.edu
Tue Oct 28 13:37:08 GMT 2008

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008, Steve Campbell wrote:

> Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 09:29:20 -0400
> From: Steve Campbell <campbell at cnpapers.com>
> To: mailscanner at lists.mailscanner.info
> Subject: OT - GreetPause question
>
> Done a little googling, but didn't see a specific answer. Don't belong to the
> sendmail mail list, but probably should join - I belong to too many already.
>
> It's OT so I'll listen to whatever comes my way.
>
> I use GreetPause. I have a default time set at 5000 in my sendmail.mc(cf) for
> 5 seconds. I have my own servers set at 0 so that there is no delay  invoked.
> I have found where I can put different delays other than zero for certain IPs
> to override the default in the sendmail.cf, but I don't see it working (or
> maybe the spammers are really following the rules and wait). The override
> feature of GreetPause may only be valid in 8.14 sendmail for values other
> than 0.
>
> So that is my question - is it valid to put something like
> "GreetPause:xx.yy.zz    20000" in my access file, remake the access.db in
> sendmail 8.13? It doesn't give a warning when I remake it, but I see no
> pre-greeting messages for the inserted values in my logs.

Steve,

Yes, you can do something like:

GreetPause:206.46.170<tab>5000

in your access file, remake access.db, and have it work.  In the example above,
this is Verizon.  They won't tolerate delays beyond 5 seconds, which is shorter
than my  7 or 8 sec delay, so I had to make adjustments for them.  FWIW, greetpause
doesn't do much anymore.  Spammers with spambots will just wait you out.

Jeff Earickson
Colby College