New beta release 4.72.4-1

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Oct 27 11:51:04 GMT 2008

Hi Folks!

Firstly, a big apology for not being around the place much recently.
Several reasons.

Number one, I now have two incredibly cute kittens to look after:
http://www.jules.fm/gallery/v/CatsDay1/
http://www.jules.fm/gallery/v/RootAndCisco/

Number two, I seem to have had quite a lot on at work (my day-job).

Number three, between numbers one and two, I just haven't had any energy
left. I'm struggling quite hard to keep my weight up (currently only
weigh 8 stone 1, 113 pounds, 51 kg) and just don't have much energy at
the moment. There have been a load of colds going round, and while I
don't really get colds (certainly never get blocked nose, stuffy head,
anything like that) they still hit me a bit. As for the new liver, well
they want to redo all the MRI scans, so I've got a few hours in an MRI
scanner to look forward to. A rather critical new vein has opened up,
which totally changed their surgical plan, and they need to be very sure
it isn't going to close again or anything daft like that. And no, the
phone hasn't rung yet, I'm still waiting for the liver transplant call. :-)

So MailScanner has had to go on a bit of a back burner for a while. I'm
sure you understand :-)

Mean time, I have just put out a new beta release, which will go stable
in a few days if no-one finds anything horribly wrong with it. So please
do test it for me!

Here is the Change Log:

* New Features and Improvements *
1 Added support for ClamAV 0.94. Note that this has necessitated removal of
  complete support for earlier versions of ClamAV as the command-line
settings
  are incompatible. So only use this version if you have upgraded to the
latest
  ClamAV 0.94.
2 The "Found to be clean" header will not be added to the message at all if
  the relevant configuration setting is blank in MailScanner.conf.
2 Filename and filetype checks are now done before virus scanning. This
means
  that you can use the "deny+delete" type of filename or filetype rule to
  selectively delete files that will choke your buggy virus scanner.
4 "install.sh" now logs all output to "install.log".
4 The RPM and SuSE versions of "install.sh" now have a "reinstall" command-
  line option which will make it attempt to remove the Perl RPMs before it
  installs them, in case you have changed your Perl version enough that the
  previous Perl modules were not being found by your new setup. Very handy
  for Fedora upgraders, among others.
4 Improvements to the "reinstall" command-line switch so it removes all the
  old versions first, before it starts installing anything new.
4 Updated MIME-tools to version 5.427.
4 Minor improvement to phishing net.
4 Added check to --lint for sufficiently correct /tmp permissions.

* Fixes *
1 Changed logging of clamd so that it reports the virus scanner name
correctly.
2 Removed debug code from OLE unpacking code.
3 Fixed log handling bug in filename rules matching code, thanks to
Derek Chee.
4 Fixed bug where whole message body was deleted if a file nested within 2
  zip files failed filename tests.
4 Fixed reporting bug in 'service MailScanner status' where it would produce
  an error instead of saying the incoming sendmail process was working fine.
4 Fixed a parsing bug in the "Avast" scanner support.
4 Minor change to error message when /tmp has wrong permissions.

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng

Need help customising MailScanner?