OT Shared Imap folders/accounts

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Thu Oct 9 18:57:59 IST 2008

Richard Frovarp wrote:
> Steve Campbell wrote:
>>

>> I'm not sure which Imap is installed. The rpm is named imap-2002d. I
>> think this is UW imap, if I'm not mistaken.
>>
>> Steve
>>
> That's UW. We're running 2004g here. I know I can leave Thunderbird
> running on two machines at the same time and not have issues. I've
> also had Thunderbird running while using Squirrelmail without
> corruption. However, I am only actively using one, the other
> connection would just be doing the 5 or 10 minute update checks. UW
> has worked just fine for us using mbx.

We run something similar, as I was referring to in a prior email (except
I said "one use" instead of "one user"). All but one user per shift is
supposed using this in read-only mode. Only that one special user is
supposed to delete files. The account is sort of like a dropbox for work
orders. Once the email has been taken care of, they log it on another
system, and go fetch another. Periodically, expired orders get removed.

I was a little surprised that there is a real difference in how IMAP
clients handle these system user accounts. As I said earlier, I use
Horde/Imp as a webmail application, and it accesses these POP accounts
just fine in an IMAP-type web page.Imp does use a database, but not so
much for the normal IMAP-related db functions as for it's own functions.
There is a similar set of applications that I saw for cyrus which mimics
the addressbook and so forth.

Again thanks for all the feedback. I'm being well educated here as usual.

steve