OT Shared Imap folders/accounts

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Thu Oct 9 16:11:38 IST 2008

Steve Campbell wrote:
> Not the place to ask, I'm sure, but maybe someone can point me to the
> proper place or page.
>
> I've googled a while, and only became more confused, as what I'd like
> to do is not techically a shared Imap account. What I've seen so far
> is that an email account is set up with different users being able to
> access this account. The "shared" part comes from a mailbox permission
> of 1777 and/or group rights.
>
> The policy here, for as long as I can remember, is to have one IMAP
> account and everyone access it with the same username and password.
> This causes corruption, as you might guess.
>
> Is it truly just file permissions or group access to a mailbox, or
> where should I turn to see the other magic that makes this work? I use
> a standard Centos 3 install.
>
> Thanks, and sorry for the bother of OT.
>
> Steve Campbell

Thanks for all the good ideas. I hope it's showing that I really wasn't
aware how IMAP worked. And I wonder how I've got it working  now. The
confusing part is that I create normal pop3 accounts, and people access
them throught their client (and horde/imp) as IMAP and it seems to work.
Of course, this might be where the corruption sometimes occurs.

I'm still not sure whether I'm using UW or Courier, so I've got a lot of
digging to do.

Thanks again.

Steve