OT Shared Imap folders/accounts

Gareth list-mailscanner at linguaphone.com
Thu Oct 9 15:52:41 IST 2008

Because it maintains read status for each user you will find if you give
people their own email accounts and give them access to the shared
folder then when one person reads the mail it will still show as unread
for other users. Hence why the normal thing to do is create a subfolder
people can drag the mail to when it has been dealt with.

As far as installing it you will find that cyrus stores the mail as
individual files within /var/spool/imap together with 2 or 3 index
files. There is also a master database of all the mailbox folders on the
system together with permissions.

The upside of this is that it is very memory and processor efficient and
can scale to a very large number of users. However it does make
importing mails a bit of a pain.
Having both IMAP servers installed on different ports and using
Outloot/Thunderbird to move the mails between then is what I did the
last time but there may well be automated scripts you can use if you
have more users than I did.