Mqueue.in just keeps growing...

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Oct 9 00:32:30 IST 2008

on 10-8-2008 4:12 PM Max Kipness spake the following:
>>You probably updated something and broke perl. Install the latest
>>MailScanner beta on top of your existing installation - that'll
>>probably fix a lot of things.
>>>What about --lint?
>
> Well after running some more tests, I’ve determined it may be a some
> performance issue. Why this started after the reboot I have no idea.
>
> I did a test in which I cleared all the queues and placed an iptables
> rule that blocked port 25. Then I started MailScanner, and opened port
> 25 just for about a minute. In that time frame I received about 1000
> messages or so. After closing port 25 again, it took a bit, but
> MailScanner processed them all. I would say 90% was spam. I do not allow
> invalid email addresses, so this is all spam to legitimate addresses.
>
> Since then I’ve raised the number of processes to 15 and I have 900
> messages at any given time in ‘incoming’. The server is again very high
> on load so Sendmail is continuously rejecting then accepting messages.
> Seems like MailScanner may be processing very few emails so at this
> point, the mqueue.in is growing a little at a time now and never reducing.
>
> So is there anyway that I can get the performance set so that it catches
> up with this mail? It’s been working fine for over a year. The incoming
> mail content, especially spam has probably increased quite a bit, but
> just last week when I checked the queues everything was very low and
> normal. I can’t imagine why a reboot has made the server perform less.

> Max

Could you have had a kernel update in that year that wouldn't have become
active until the reboot?

Is there any way you can use some blacklists at the MTA to reduce the crap
getting into the queue? Maybe something that looks at the spam you are getting
and adding entries as they hit.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and