Announcing the new FSL MailScanner Beta yum repository

Stephen Swaney steve at fsl.com
Wed Oct 8 23:04:46 IST 2008

Scott Silva wrote:
> on 10-8-2008 9:13 AM Rob Poe spake the following:
>
>> Does this mean that the existing method of installing MailScanner (i.e.
>> going to mailscanner.info / downloading the installer for MailScanner)
>> is going away?
>>

> This is just a service set up by one of the paid supporters of MailScanner,
> Fortress Software.
> They have set up the repo for beta versions for free, but the repo for the
> stable versions are a paid service.
>
> The downloads will not go away AFAIK. Julian has stated that he will not drop
> the free nature of the system as it is now. The optional systems are for Admin
> convenience.

Thanks Scott.

For over five years now  we have committed to keeping MailScanner as
open source software and free. We use some of the funds from the "paid"
support options, DefenderMX and BarricadeMX, to support some of the the
improvements to MailScanner. Any feature that FSL has added to
MailScanner has alway been and will always be incorporated back into
MailScanner. Julian and I agreed on the day we started this business
that MailScanner would "never branch" into free and paid versions.

I think we have a pretty good record of keeping to this promise.

I truly believe that MailScanner, the open source version, can increase
it's market share by having the option of paid support. I know this
because our paying clients tell us so. Most of our larger sites feel
that having their MailScanner systems maintained and supported by
professionals who keep very up to date on MailScanner and the related
applications - actually saves them money.

I think it's just good to have options and one of them will always be
FSL and various support options.

Best regards,

Steve

Steve Swaney