Migrate system: amavisd-new to mailscanner?

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Oct 8 22:45:20 IST 2008

on 10-8-2008 2:47 AM Anthony Cartmell spake the following:
>>> So perhaps Postfix plus MailScanner might be OK? This would mean I could
>>> leave Postfix set up as it is, but replace amavisd-new with MailScanner,
>>> probably a simpler task?
>> Not exactly "as is", but definitely doable.
>> Easiest would be to "sidegrade" to another machine, where you setup
>> with MS from the outset, but that would be utopian, I suspect:-).
>
> Might be possible, as a server hardware change is on offer.
>
> I think I'm correct in saying that MailScanner is much better than
> amavisd-new?
>
>> Do read the setup instructions (both on the website and in the wiki)
>> very carefully... When using PF, you'll likely be running as an
>> unprivileged user, so all concerning that has to be exactly right...
>
> Good tip, thank you.
>
> Do we have a feeling for which MTAs people are mostly using with
> MailScanner?  Is it mainly sendmail, or a random mix of all of them?
>
>>> Current OS is Fedora 5 (!) but they plan to move to CentOS soon.
>> Ew.
>
> Yeah!
>
> Anthony
I'm pretty sure that Sendmail and Postfix make up the majority of installs,
with Exim probably very close. There has also been some support by third
parties of Qmail, but it is probably dead-last in the "race".

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and