Installer comments

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Oct 7 17:18:22 IST 2008

on 10-7-2008 5:46 AM Jonas Akrouh Larsen spake the following:
> Hi Julian
>

> Recently I think you asked for comments suggestions for the installer.
> At the time nothing occurred to me, as it generally works very well.
>

> However after upgrading to newest spamassassin + MailScanner some things
> stood out which could be improved.
>

> The following are for those of us using the tarball way to install (I
> run debian and their packages are oooold)

Backports has some newer packages

> When I install I do the following things manually every time I have to
> upgrade MailScanner:
>

> 1: Copy over the old report text files so the users get our customized
> texts.

I doubt that Julian would automate this as there are too many variables. You
could probably script this yourself easier for your system.

> It would be super if the installer could do this for you somehow,
> basically ask if it should look for the old directory and copy over old
> files somehow.
>
> This is also true for the old configuration. I assume that most people
> who upgrade will want to run the upgrade_conf script on their old
> configuration to create an up2date configuration file.
>
> This could also (in a simple way I think) be done by the installer.

This is also debatable, as some people with heavily commented conf files do
not run the upgrade_mailscanner_conf script because it removes all their
comments, but run a diff and fix it themselves.

> Basically what I imagine is that (either by default or by passing the
> installer an option) he installer asks the user:
>
> What is the path to the old mailscanner install?
>
> Do you want to upgrade the old configuration?
>
> Do you want to keep you report/msg texts?
>
> I’m not sure if there could be more points, but its possible. The ones I
> have outlined are the ones I would like to have automated.

I can't speak for Julian, but if you submit a diff to the install script,
Julian *might* consider it, since he usually seems open to at least LOOK at
proposed patches.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and