Centos 5.2, MS, perl ClamAV module

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Thu Nov 27 18:17:45 GMT 2008

David Lee had asked:

>> Is the recommendation is that we no longer use the perl ClamAV module and
>> instead use "clamd"?
>>
>> If so, then are all the pieces in place to ensure that the "clamd" module
>> is automatically invoked?  (The "chkconfig ..." and "service ... start"
>> or equivalents?)

NIKOLAOS PAVLIDIS replied:

> The development of the perl clamav module is quite slow and as discussed
> previously, the clamd solution is the optimal one. From my experience
> clamd is fully implementable on centos systems, all you need is the
> clamd script in /etc/init.d.
>
> Sample scripts are available under contrib/init just make sure that you
> configure your clamd.conf to your specs since MS will not be providing
> the configuration options for it since it will be invoked separately as
> a daemon.

Thanks for the reply.

On a personal level, I'm happy to switch to "clamd".

Now, switching context away from "me and my problem" and towards "solving
a general problem for potentially all clam users"...

# ... Are all the pieces in place to ensure that the "clamd" module is
# automatically invoked? (The "chkconfig ..." and "service ... start" or
# equivalents?)

And I think the answer is "not yet".

Julian has done an excellent job not only with MS itself but, just as
usefully, with getting the default installation (for all users) as
reasonably right as it could be.

But I suspect that this may be one area which needs attention.

If the default recommendation for ClamAV has changed from being the perl
module to being "clamd"...

... then the default installation should (I propose) automatically install
the relevant "/etc/init.d" script (and other associated things that might
be necessary).

Julian: If the above is broadly correct, I'll happily help beta-test a
revised "ClamAV/SA" tarfile that attempts to install "/etc/init.d/clamd"
and friends.

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
:  UNIX Team Leader                         Durham University     :
:                                           South Road            :
:  http://www.dur.ac.uk/t.d.lee/            Durham DH1 3LE        :