Big drop in SPAM volume?

Drew Marshall drew.marshall at technologytiger.net
Mon Nov 24 23:08:42 GMT 2008

On 24 Nov 2008, at 21:54, Drew wrote:

> One thing I *have* noticed since spam volume dropped is a huge
> increase in ssh attacks, and not just on mail servers. I'm pulling
> information from close to 500 systems when I say "huge" - I'm
> talking about nearly 1000 attempts per machine per day. Whoever is
> doing it is smart enough to be using many many IP addresses from all
> over the world, and just making a few attempts from each IP, then
> backing off to keep automated firewall add/remove tools from
> blocking too many attempts. Anyone else noticed this?

Yes, certainly. I only leave a couple of boxes accessible to the
'outside world' and their logs are filled daily with large numbers of
attempts, almost exactly as you describe. I don't know when they will
realise I just don't allow root or any other daemon ssh log in access...

Drew

--
In line with our policy, this message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous
content by Technology Tiger's Mail Launder system <www.mail-launder.com>

Technology Tiger Limited is registered in Scotland with registration number: 310997
Registered Office 55-57 West High Street Inverurie AB51 3QQ