Releasing messages from quarantine

Steve Freegard steve.freegard at fsl.com
Tue Nov 11 18:52:18 GMT 2008

Julian Field wrote:
> Not quite.
> When I remove the dangerous attachment from a message, I send the
> message on with its original Message-ID: header, which I believe is what
> I should be doing. Otherwise I'll break threads, among other things. Not
> every recipient of an attachment in (for example) a mailing list thread
> is interested in receiving that attachment, and having the thread broken
> as a result.
>
> When someone chooses to release a message from the MailWatch quarantine,
> they don't change the Message-ID: to a new value before sending it. So
> personally I reckon the ball is in your court. Sites without MailWatch
> wouldn't want their Message-ID: threads breaking for every message that
> happened to contain a dodgy attachment the recipient wasn't interested
> in anyway. Surely it's MailWatch's job to create a new Message-ID: when
> a message is re-posted with its attachments, now the user has chosen to
> retrieve them?
>
> I just see this as a problem for the implementers of quarantine release
> mechanisms, not for me.
>
> What do you think?

You're right of course - I'm forgetting that MailScanner can strip
attachments and deliver the original message.

I can strip the Message-ID on my end and get the MTA to generate a new
one automatically; but this is going to break threading as well.  I
guess there is no clean way around this.

Regards,
Steve.