MS/perl segfaults

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Tue Nov 11 16:18:05 GMT 2008

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008, Julian Field wrote:

> One immediate thought: the only reproducible instance of this problem was
> caused by the HTML parser, and I wrote a solution to that in a recent
> release, it's in the Change Log.
>
> But yes, your idea is a possibility, now that I'm using SQLite. Doing it with
> a dbm file is not really practical due to high contention for the exclusive
> write locks on the file. SQLite may be able to do it rather better.
> [...]

Many thanks, Julian.  I'm glad you think the idea is workable.

As Jonas Larsen confirmed, although such events are rare, their impact on
a site can be severe (we had 60,000+ emails delayed over the weekend).

My mention of db/dbm was simply illustrative.  Use whatever technology
(preferably lightweight) that you think is best.  (In my initial vague
sketch, I was imagining two updates (an insert and delete) per email under
normal conditions.)

As I say, I'm happy to try to beta-test if you wish.

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
:  UNIX Team Leader                         Durham University     :
:                                           South Road            :
:  http://www.dur.ac.uk/t.d.lee/            Durham DH1 3LE        :