MS 4.55.10 and Clamscan 0.90 dosen't work

James Gray james at gray.net.au
Sat Nov 8 22:59:27 GMT 2008

On 09/11/2008, at 5:55 AM, Sam Przyswa wrote:
> To upgrade to the last clamav and MS version I have to switch to
> Debian
> unstable and I don't want to make my customers machines unstable. The
> last time I do that I got lot of troubles...

Your logic is flawed although I understand your motivations.  When it
comes to security software (which I put MS/ClamAV etc into) you MUST
stay up-to-date or the bad guys win by default; as in the defender
doesn't show up for the prize fight.

Have a read on Debian's packaging system.  You can actually add the
testing/unstable repositories to your /etc/apt/sources.list (or /etc/
apt/sources.list.d/<repo_stub>) and then use /etc/apt/apt.conf to only
pull specific packages from the unstable/testing repo's.
Alternatively, you could forget Debian's SpamAssassing/ClamAV/
MailScanner packages and simply install from Julian's installer.  This
last approach is the one I have adopted and it has *never* caused any
problems.

Here's my /etc/apt/apt.conf on a production machine:
$cat apt.conf
APT::Default-Release "stable";
APT::Cache-Limit "16777216";
Acquire::http::Proxy "http://127.0.0.1:3128/";

Notice the "Default-Release" option?  That means "apt" will only pull
in a testing/unstable package if I tell it to like this:
# apt-get -t testing install <package_from_testing>

Voila!

When you add stable/test/unstable all to the same apt configuration,
you may get errors when updating the package list due to memory
exhaustion.  That's why the "Cache-Limit" is set to a larger value in
my config.  The proxy line means that after the first machine has
updated itself, the remainder get the packages from the proxy which is
faster and friendlier to the mirror operators :)  Just have to make
sure your repository and proxy config are consistent accross your
machines and it works like a charm!

Consider your customers, the rest of us netizens, and get your
software updated :)  Julian is a top guy and is passionate about his
software, but he does provide his time and software for FREE.  He
can't be expected to support all versions of MS for all time, for
free.  Have some consideration ;)

Cheers,

James