users who get more than there share of spam

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue May 27 22:10:51 IST 2008

on 5-27-2008 12:59 PM John Baker spake the following:
> Hi all,
>
> I wondered if any of the experts on the list had any suggestions for
> this problem.
>
> I have a few users who gave their name to the wrong website and get way
> more than there share of spam.  I've been trying to figure out a way to
> bring those numbers down for them.
>
> Most of the spam coming through to us either doesn't make it past the
> geylist or gets marked  by the Mailscanner process and then sent to a
> junk folder by procmail upon delivery. These folks get hundreds in the
> junk mail folder every day and hundreds per week that slip through the
> process. It makes their mail unmanageable particularly as we are in an
> area where many of them still have to retrieve their mail with a 28k
> dialup connection when they are at home.
>
> At this point it seems as though improving the spam marking process for
> us would involve spending money on external services that we don't have
> to spend and it is working well enough for the average user. Would
> anybody have any suggestions on how to help users who get caught up in
> this sort of thing short of giving them a new address and bouncing
> everything to the old one?
>
> Thanks
What are you using for options to spamassassin?
Any digests like razor or pyzor?
Any other rules like kam or some of the sare rules?
Blacklists?

If you can post links to a couple COMPLETE mail files, either from queue files
or quarantined, others here will run them through our systems and post the
results we get.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and