attachments embedded in mail

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Sun May 25 10:30:25 IST 2008

Gellert Horvath wrote:

| I have a similar issue, but worse. In some case when users send mail
to many users (20 ore more. cant tell exatly), and
| attaching an .doc file, then message gets corrupted, and the recepient
cant read it. The attachment is in the message
| body as a binary file. Re sending the mail reproduce the error.
|
| I am looking for the error source since months but cant isolate or
reproduce the problem with other recepients. We use
| GroupWise and the MS is the smtp gateway to the internet.
|
| Can anybody tell me, if this is a GroupWise , MailScanner or
SpamAssassin related error?

Weel If you can reproduce it by resending the message then you can
troubleshoot it.

Just capture all network traffic while you reproduce the issue and you
can see what changes MailScanner is making to the message and wether or
not it is caused by MailScanner.

But I can tell that your message is not correct as far as HTML is concerned:

. If you have received this e-mail message in error, please notify the
| send=
| er. <BR></DIV></BODY><br />--=20
| </HTML>

You are putting text between the </body> and </html> tags. And there
should be no text there. I suggest you do NOT add this text to your
messages.

Then there is the issue of UTF encoding things. It may result in long
lines which may in the end bee too long and violate the line limit of
the SMTP protocol. If that happens then all bets are off and you may end
up with ackward results or bounced messages.

Some of these lines are pretty long:

It may have nothing to with the number of recipients at all but just
with the file name and how it is being translated when send through SMTP.

Perhaps your client will see conflicting details about the recipients in
your address book and try to send of the named with a specific encoding
only in certain cases.

Hugo.

- --

	A: Yes.