OT: greylistd

René Berber r.berber at computer.org
Fri May 23 01:29:56 IST 2008

Paul Welsh wrote:

> I'm trying to get greylistd working on my Exim based mail server.
> However, when I try starting it I get:
>
> Could not bind/listen to socket /var/run/greylistd/socket: (98, 'Address
> already in use')

Nuke the file (if it exists), then start the daemon.  One thing that
seems wrong, the default socket is /var/run/greylstd/greylstd.sock, not
the one you show.

Not much documentation with this one but it works fine with exim.  The
missing doc should describe the optional parameters :

-d database-file (default: /var/lib/greylstd/greylstd.db)
-f foreground
-h help? I think this one doesn't work
-p pid-file-name (default: /var/run/greylstd/greylstd.pid)
-s socket-file-name (default: /var/run/greylstd/greylstd.sock)
-v verbose

Missing is :
- Create /var/run/greylstd/ with proper permissions;
- Create the empty database, using
      sqlite3 /var/lib/greylstd/greylstd.db < db.sqlite
- Manage your white-list, default settings, black-list; I do this
manually, for instance:

$ sqlite3 /var/lib/greylstd/greylstd.db
SQLite version 3.3.17
Enter ".help" for instructions
sqlite> .dump greyconf
         BEGIN TRANSACTION;
CREATE TABLE greyconf (
     id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY,
     recipient TEXT NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
     minwait INTEGER DEFAULT NULL,
     maxwait INTEGER DEFAULT NULL,
     maxvalid INTEGER DEFAULT NULL,
     UNIQUE (recipient)
);
INSERT INTO "greyconf" VALUES(1,'',300,86400,2678400);
COMMIT;
sqlite> .dump whitelist
BEGIN TRANSACTION;
CREATE TABLE whitelist (
     id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY,
     recipient TEXT NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
     sender TEXT NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
     remoteip TEXT NOT NULL DEFAULT ''
);
INSERT INTO "whitelist" VALUES(1,'','@you-got-the-idea.com','');
sqlite> .exit

There's no black-list, what I use is tcp-wrappers (exim compiled with
support for it and /etc/hosts.deny).

Hope this helps.
--
René Berber