MailScanner restart problem.

Mohammed Alli malli at mcrirents.com
Sat May 10 03:05:52 IST 2008

________________________________

From: mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info on behalf of Rick Bragg
Sent: Fri 5/9/2008 8:43 PM
To: MailScanner discussion
Subject: MailScanner restart problem.

I'm building a new system, and today I rebooted it and MailScanner did
not come up.

So I started it by hand with the init script, and I got this message:

# /etc/init.d/mailscanner restart
 * Restarting mail spam/virus scanner MailScanner                                                                            No MailScanner found running; none killed.
 is only avaliable with the XS version at /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/Compress/Zlib.pm line 9
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/Compress/Zlib.pm line 9.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/Archive/Zip.pm line 11.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/Archive/Zip.pm line 11.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/MailScanner//MailScanner/Message.pm line 48.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/MailScanner//MailScanner/Message.pm line 48.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 80.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 80.

Does anybody know what might have happened?

I am using Ubuntu 8.04 server AMD64.  I recently installed a few perl
modules...

Thanks!
Rick

Hi  Rick,

I've seen this behavior on Ubuntu as well.  The way I got around it was doing the following:

9.17 Fix for Ubuntu 8.04 (kept removing directories upon reboot)

Edit /etc/rc.local and add the following before the exit line:

mkdir /var/run/MailScanner
mkdir /var/lock/subsys
mkdir /var/lock/subsys/MailScanner
chown -R postfix:www-data /var/run/MailScanner
chown -R postfix:www-data /var/lock/subsys/MailScanner
/etc/init.d/postfix restart
/etc/init.d/mailscanner restart

That should do it for you.

Regards,