User's home directory /var/spool/postfix is not writable

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Sat May 10 00:14:36 IST 2008

2008/5/9 Marco Rebsamen <mrebsamen at unimatrix0.ch>:
> Am Freitag, 9. Mai 2008 05:14:12 schrieb Glen Prestidge:
>> HI all
>>

>> I am having a problem with my  freebsd 6.2 with Mailscanner + clamav +
>> Spamassin
>>
>> p5-Mail-ClamAV-0.20_3
>> MailScanner-4.67.6_1
>> p5-Mail-SpamAssassin-3.2.4_4
>> postfix-2.5.1_2,1
>>
>> I can not get the mail to be scanned by the mailscanner due to this error
>>
>> May  8 02:14:48 testrig MailScanner[1470]: User's home directory
>> /var/spool/postfix is not writable
> Check the directory Ownership "755" ist not enaugh if it is owned by the wrong
> user.
>
> Also Check the username under which Mailscanner runs...
>

>> I have reinstalled all the packages, chmod 755 on the /var/spool/postfix -
>> still not working, I have attempted to move the postfix dir into /tmp
>> because I read something about the razor agent log causing problems? There
>> isn't a razor log there.
>>

>> I have tried to go back to previous versions of the software but didn't
>> have any luck. This is now occurring on 2 servers.
>>

>> Regards
>>

>> Glen Prestidge

Marco, please define "wrong user" here... To me, the problem Glen is
having sound like normal chroot jail behavior;-).

If so, one way around it all is to create the "missing directories" by
hand and then chowning them from root to the PF user... Likely both a
.razor and .spamassassin directory might be "missing"... Then again...
there are other ways (that should be in the wiki already) around this
type of problem (mainly: explicitly configure a writable path for both
SA and razor:-).

But as Rob so very rightly point out, actual user/owner is key to the solution.
How about it Glen? Could you tell a bit more?

Cheers
--
-- Glenn