OT: netiquette (was: The Perfect SpamSnake - Ubuntu 8.04 TLS)

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri May 2 18:43:45 IST 2008

on 5-2-2008 2:12 AM Peter Farrow spake the following:
> shuttlebox wrote:
>> On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 10:19 AM, Peter Farrow <peter at farrows.org> wrote:
>>
>>>  BTW, you didn't see that comment from Res' because it was sent to me,  just
>>> thought I would share it with you so you understand how you come across
>>> sometimes, take it on board, and make yourself a better person for it...
>>>

>> Maybe you shouldn't use Res as an example. :-) A guy who got in so
>> much trouble on this list he asked to be removed from it himself and
>> the wish was granted, then he subscribed again to lurk and posts
>> privately to people which all in all is kind of silly if you ask me.
>> In my mind Hugo is very reasonable compared to what I have read from
>> Res. After all, this list is populated by e-mail admins, if they are
>> "educated" about top-posting, how threading works and my favorite -
>> trimming replies, they might influence their users and we will have a
>> better world. :-)
>>

> I agree, but Hugo's reply just pressed my button, far too much tied up
> with protocol, rather than just saying thanks.
>
> If you constantly nit-pick over what really are irrellevances you end
> with a mailing list tied up with discussions about posting, how to post,
> how not to post etc etc, and it becomes worthless, rather like a
> playground argument over who said what.
>
> This list is already diluted far too much with self appointed net-cops,
> and that really had to be said.  Given the same set of circumstances and
> looking back, my only regret is that I wasn't harder on Hugo first time
> round.   Res' comment seems right on the money in the case...
>
> --
I suppose making a comment on the graphic signature will just start the fire
again, so I won't do it.  ;-P

Disclaimer:
The above comment was just a poor attempt at humor. You are free to keep your
comments and angry responses to yourself!

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and