OT: Sendmail REJECT or DISCARD preference

Peter Farrow peter at farrows.org
Mon Mar 31 22:59:21 IST 2008

Koopmann, Jan-Peter wrote:
>> Well, actually no I don't need to know their users list, thats the
>> beauty of this configuration.
>>

> There's no beauty I can see.
>

>> To add anti spam to a clients setup I
>> simply insert my servers,  I don't need to ask them any questions
>>
> other
>
>> than where to send it on.
>>

> Due to recipient verification neither do I. Everything works and I can
> reject and do not have to discard.
>

>> So this is a top solution, very easy for
>> the
>> client, and my clients love it, I can anti spam their email without
>> even
>> knowing or wanting know anything about their enterprise I just tell
>> them
>> to adjust their DNS.
>>

> Same here. Recipient verification and REJECT. Much better than your
> setup.
>

>> Hence, I do have it very very right indeed.
>>

> Well then. Keep on doing that.
>

>> Could you imagine trying to know about all the users  on each mail
>> domain for each client, with 1000s of clients and therefore 100,000s
>>
> of
>
>> users....
>>

> Gosh no. That's why my setup is using an efficient recipient cache.
>

>> its all about scale and ease of implementation and thats why
>> on this type of scale and even small ones a discard is a supremely
>> useful solution...
>>

>> If I wanted to implement a client user list I could always add a
>> look/check ahead milter, but why bother this works better, and a look
>> ahead would mean I would need to know if their mailbox holder server
>> was
>> behind an internet facing smarthost or not to make the check valid or
>> not...
>>

> Which the milters do automatically. And why? Because then you can reject
> and do not end up with the mess you are describing.

Well, no actually, there is no mess here, because I discard, I don't
need to know anything about the clients valid email addresses or not, I
don't need to call ahead to a would be smarthost that will almost
certainlu say ok to every email - because nobody of any configuration
worth has the server facing the internet that holds the mailboxes as
well....the discard list at MTA level works very effectively, in the
same way that an RBL blacklist works but without the mess created by
blowing the email back with a notice...

So in comparison this is very very tidy..