OT: Sendmail REJECT or DISCARD preference

Koopmann, Jan-Peter jan-peter at koopmann.eu
Mon Mar 31 21:53:15 IST 2008

> Well, actually no I don't need to know their users list, thats the
> beauty of this configuration.

There's no beauty I can see.

> To add anti spam to a clients setup I
> simply insert my servers,  I don't need to ask them any questions
other
> than where to send it on.

Due to recipient verification neither do I. Everything works and I can
reject and do not have to discard.

> So this is a top solution, very easy for
> the
> client, and my clients love it, I can anti spam their email without
> even
> knowing or wanting know anything about their enterprise I just tell
> them
> to adjust their DNS.

Same here. Recipient verification and REJECT. Much better than your
setup.

> Hence, I do have it very very right indeed.

Well then. Keep on doing that.

> Could you imagine trying to know about all the users  on each mail
> domain for each client, with 1000s of clients and therefore 100,000s
of
> users....

Gosh no. That's why my setup is using an efficient recipient cache.

> its all about scale and ease of implementation and thats why
> on this type of scale and even small ones a discard is a supremely
> useful solution...

> If I wanted to implement a client user list I could always add a
> look/check ahead milter, but why bother this works better, and a look
> ahead would mean I would need to know if their mailbox holder server
> was
> behind an internet facing smarthost or not to make the check valid or
> not...

Which the milters do automatically. And why? Because then you can reject
and do not end up with the mess you are describing.