Work dir permissions error on --lint

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Mar 29 18:54:29 GMT 2008

Jason Ede wrote:

> I’ve an odd error, and so far can’t seem to track down cause...
>
> MailScanner 4.67.6 on postfix with clamd as virus scanner on a Centos
> 5.1 machine
>
> I’m working on a script to update the postfix and MailScanner config
> on a couple of remote servers once I’ve configured it correctly on the
> first server. When I run a MailScanner –lint from the script file I
> get the following in the output.
>
> -------------------------------------
>
> SpamAssassin temp dir = /tmp/SpamAssassin-Temp
>
> SpamAssassin reported no errors.
>
> Cannot create temporary Work Dir /6203. Are the permissions and
> ownership of correct? at

That /6203 is definitely wrong. You're missing a directory setting
somewhere. It should be trying to create it under
/var/spool/MailScanner/incoming.

> /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/WorkArea.pm line 152
>
> --------------------------------------
>
> It works fine when run from command line. I’ve the incoming work dir
> settings as below. I run clamd under the postfix user as it seemed to
> work that way and has been working properly for a while..
>
> Incoming Work Dir = /tmp

Put that setting back the way you found it, i.e.
/var/spool/MailScanner/incoming. Follow the instructions on the website
or in the wiki to the letter to start with. Once you've got it all going
fine, then and only then can you start tweaking stuff :-)

> Incoming Work User = postfix
>
> Incoming Work Group = postfix
>
> Incoming Work Permissions = 0640

I would try 0644 as otherwise you might hit trouble with clamd not being
able to access the extracted attachment. Again, start tweaking later.

> Any ideas?

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng