preventing backscatter at the source

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Mar 28 20:23:17 GMT 2008

Mark Nienberg wrote:

>The solutions discussed in the "backscatter problem" thread are all about preventing
>delivery of backscatter to our users.  Does anyone have information on preventing my
>mail server from generating backscatter in the first place?  I'd like to avoid
>sending bounce messages to innocent victims of address spoofing.
>
>One thought I had was checking SPF records before sending a DSN, but I'm not sure if
>milter-SPF could do this as it is not the normal sequence.
>
>The headers below that that google sends DSNs to addresses it knows are spoofed.  Can
>I do better?

There is a long thread that touches on these issues on the
Mailman-Developers list. See the "before next release: disable
backscatter in default installation" thread at
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2008-March/thread.html>.

Some people do advocate checking SPF before returning a DSN, but this
will supress some legitimate DSNs, and in any case, my question is
"how do I set it up"

Here's the particular scenario that I am concerned about. I have a
number of forwarding aliases on my server. At least one of the targets
of these has a very agressive content filter at SMTP time. So, I
(Postfix) receive mail for s at example.com, scan it with MailScanner and
it passes, and I attempt to deliver it to y at example.net. example.net
rejects the message with "550 5.7.1 Requested action not taken:
message refused (in reply to end of DATA command)". Then Postfix sends
a DSN to the possibly innocent 3rd party envelope sender of the