Watermarking

Paul Houselander (SME) housey at sme-ecom.co.uk
Thu Mar 27 09:45:12 GMT 2008

Hi

I have a couple of questions regarding watermarking, I don't know if anyone
else is being hit the same but quite a few domains I look after have been
being hit by backscatter attacks over the last week.

I already reject all invalid recipients but these backscatters seem to be
targeting real aliases.

I want to use watermarks to filter out the bounces where the original
message did not come from my servers, but only on certain domains.

Do I just set

Use Watermarking = yes

Add Watermark = %rules-dir%/add.watermark.rules

add.watermark.rules

FromTo:               default no

From:    *@domain.com                yes

Check Watermarks With No Sender = %rules-dir%/check.watermarks.rules

check.watermarks.rules

FromTo:               default no

To:          *@domain.com                yes

Would this add a watermark for e-mail coming from *@domain.com and only
check watermarks for e-mail coming into *@domain.com - all other domains
would work as they currently do?

Is there any other caveats to watch out for? I seem to recall some
discussion about it misfiring on Microsoft delivery recipients?

Cheers

Paul