Large uptake in spam?

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Mar 24 21:12:24 GMT 2008

on 3-24-2008 11:27 AM Rob Poe spake the following:
> I've noticed a large uptake in the amount of spam my gateways are seeing.
>
> Of course, it's causing a higher than normal load on the servers, and people are complaining because we're getting SA timeouts due to the load.
>
> Do people here use / recommend setting up Sendmail to reject based on no valid reverse DNS?
>
> Milter-SAV ?
>
> What free RBL's are people using?  The ones I've seen are "Use this lightly" and if you don't .. you get blacklisted from them ..
>
> What else do you recommend?
>
> I'm using Sendmail / SMF-Grey / SA / MailScanner
>
> Server is P4 1.9 2gigs mirrored IDE hard drives..

The best thing I can recommend is to look at your logs at which blacklists
have hit at 100% spam rate. Mailwatch helps here, but you can dig in your logs
if you need to.
Through the above testing I have found I can use spamcop, njabl, dsbl, cbl,
sorbs and spamhaus at the end. With the other lists taking the brunt of the
work, I can still use spamhaus with better than 70% less queries.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and