Postfix 2.5 with MailScanner?

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Mar 23 21:06:26 GMT 2008

Glenn Steen wrote:
> On 23/03/2008, Julian Field <MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

>>  Alex Broens wrote:
>>  > On 3/23/2008 6:57 PM, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
>>  >>
>>  >> Alex Broens wrote:
>>  >> | On 3/23/2008 5:28 PM, Glenn Steen wrote:
>>  >> |> On 23/03/2008, Gerard <gerard at seibercom.net> wrote:
>>  >> |>> On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 14:29:02 +0000
>>  >> |>>  Julian Field <MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
>>  >> |>>
>>  >> |>>  > Has anyone run Postfix 2.5 with MailScanner?
>>  >> |>>  > Is it known to work okay?
>>  >> |>>
>>  >> |>>
>>  >> |>> I suppose asking Wietse Venema is out of the question.
>>  >> |>>
>>  >> |>>  Actually, I did see one posting regarding it; however, it
>>  >> received the
>>  >> |>>  standard response that Mailscanner was not supported, etc. and that
>>  >> |>>  ended the thread.
>>  >> |>>
>>  >> |>>  I will be configuring a new FreeBSD-7.0 machine shortly that
>>  >> will have
>>  >> |>>  Postfix-2.6 (current-beta) installed. However, that will not be for
>>  >> |>>  another month or so. Sorry I could not help.
>>  >> |>>
>>  >> |> So you're skipping 2.5 altogether? I *might* be able tosqueeze this
>>  >> |> in, but ... far from sure:-(. Would be great if someone already had
>>  >> |> tried it all:-).
>>  >> |
>>  >> | Glenn
>>  >> |
>>  >> | I'm having an issue with MS/Postfix 2.5.1 and milter-link.
>>  >> |
>>  >> | MS won't process the msg after milter-link added its tags.
>>  >> |
>>  >> | A birdie told me you're the MailScanner Postfix Q file detective.
>>  >> |
>>  >> | wanna share my headache? :-)
>>  >>
>>  >> Not exactly your headache. But what do the headers look like before and
>>  >> after milter-link has touched them?
>>  >
>>  > that is a question I can't really answer (yet) milter-link adds 1
>>  > header and modifies the subject and MS chokes on the changes
>>  > As the files are in Pfix Q format... it escapes my knowledge as to how
>>  > to correctly take the file apart and see what the difference is.
>>
>> If I were you, I would leave that bit to Glenn. 'postcat' can print it
>>  out nicely, but otherwise Glenn needs to look at the actual binary
>>  structure really.
>>

>>  > I can provide samples of the Pfix Q files which MS happily ignores and
>>  > leaves in Hold Q to rot.
>>
>> Please send Glenn everything you have.
>>

>>  >> I assume that if you just disable milter-link that everything is OK?
>>  >> (OK, I did not assume, I just asked explicitly ;-)
>>  >
>>  > Yes, I did that... no milter-link tagging the msg, MS works.

> [...]
Can I help in that respect? (Not with the wife, but with the machines :-)
I can give you access to a RHEL5 box if that helps? It's one of my devel
machines. I can give you ssh access to it in a few minutes if that will
help. Mail me back if you're interested. It only has whatever Postfix on
it that RHEL 5 supplies, anything beyond that you'll have to install
yourself.

Jules

- --
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng