rbl and timeout

Alessandro Dentella sandro at e-den.it
Wed Mar 19 12:17:50 GMT 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 03:29:52PM -0400, Matt Kettler wrote:
> Alessandro Dentella wrote:
> >Hi again,
> >
> >  and now the questions related to rbl and dns.
> >
> >  At the moment I'm using bind9 on the mail server (on debian). Is that a
> >  casching nameserver, is there a way to test if it is working correctly?
> >
> >  I'm confused as for how rbldnsd should get into the setup. After I set it
> >  up should I substitute it to bind? should I declare it in
> >  MailScanner.conf
> >  / spamassassin?
> >

> Generally I'd suggest using a forward zone declaration in your resolving
> named. This way anything using your resolving named for lookup will recurse
> to the rbldnsd instead of the interent.
>
> in named.conf you'd do something like this:
>

> zone "somerbl.com" {
>         type forward;
>           forwarders {
>                 192.168.1.2;
>         };
> };
>

> Where 192.168.1.2 is your server running rbldnsd. If it's running on a
> nonstandard port, such as 5353 just change to:
>
> zone "somerbl.com" {
>         type forward;
>           forwarders {
>                 192.168.1.2 port 5353;
>         };
> };

Thanks for this hint. There's a point I missed and now I got (I think) .
I thought that a check toward an rbl was similar to what on a shell would
be:

  $ host    ip_to_be_checked     my.preferred.rbl.org

while enabling named querylog and using rblcheck I see that is like this:

  $ host    ip_to_be_checked.my.preferred.rbl.org

so now I understand your configuration.

Thanks
sandro
*:-)

PS: as far as using rbldnsd or not... reading spamhouse FAQ it seems that we
    are not even entitled to use the free servers from spamhouse...