mailscanner, queue & nfs

Alessandro Dentella sandro at e-den.it
Mon Mar 17 21:37:39 GMT 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 09:08:22PM +0100, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

> Alessandro Dentella wrote:
> | Hi,
> |
> |   can I keep the postfix queues on NFS so that 2 concurrent host run
> |   mailscanner on the same queue?
> |
> |   Which kind of problems... am I looking for?
>
> How are you managing locks?
>
> If you have two hosts then distribute the mail with SMTP on both hosts.
> That way you can lose one system and still get something done.
>
> That NFS ploy is just looking for more trouble instead of solving an issue.

I'm not yet doing this, so I'm not managing locks!
This setup would olny be an intermediate way to migrate a system that is
always under too hight load to a newer one (same hw, really).

I'like to understand how different blocks are impacting on load so I wanted
to isolate mailscanner, while at it I also wandered if it would be possible
to go in parallel. (the same box has also imap/pop and we receive around
150.000 mail a day)

And what about haveing (temporarily) postfix on a box and mailscanner on a
different box that works on an NFS exported spool directory.

Would that be again looking for troubles or not (since there should not be
concurrency between different MailScanner processes.)

My understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong) is that mailScanner only
acts on mails in the queue with HOLD flag and postfix won't touch those
files. My guess is that non lock problem shou arise, but I'm /really/ not en
expert un this issue.

sandro
*:-)