Razor via RPM?

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us
Fri Mar 14 17:24:20 GMT 2008

Julian Field wrote:
> Just adding 2 modules to the MailScanner distribution sounds like a
> very quick hack to solve the problem. But would people prefer an
> RPM-based installation of the ClamAV+SpamAssassin installation
> anyway? I have a feeling it might cause more problems than it solves,
> as any perl upgrade would be even more complicated that it is now due
> to all the clashing modules that have to be removed and reinstalled.
>
> What are anyone's thoughts?

A lot of the rpm building stuff goes right past me, as I've never had to
look into it, but I don't know that MS really needs to be all things to
all men, as the saying goes.  One of the best things about MS is the
ability to integrate completely separate packages seamlessly in it.
Some are easier than others, but for the most part it's not too bad
adding each.

I use SUSE so only have experience installing that but both clamav and
spamassassin are available as rpms in the distro.  So are many of the
perl modules that are required - they may not be installed by default
however.  I'm not 100% sure, but I think razor is also bundled.  So I
guess what I'm saying is that I don't think you really need to bundle
the extra programs with MS.  Much of it can be installed via whatever
mechanism the distro normally uses.  If you take notes the first time,
it's not that hard to add in the missing packages the next time around.
Maybe I'm off on this point, but I generally try to install any perl
modules from the SUSE repositories if possible, as presumably they've
been tested on that platform.  Unless there's a specific version issue,
that seems to have worked well for me.

I do install spamassassin & clamav from your bundle, as it does the
extra configuring which is really handy.  I don't recall there being
extra stuff for razor2 (but it's been a while).  Just have to download
the tar balls from the razor2 site and install 'em.  The dependencies
are listed there so it's not too hard to install missing perl packages
from the distro repository or download the razor-agents-sdk.

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I figure you'd be best utilized
focusing on MS itself.  Whether I type 'rpm -i <somepackage>' or go
through the make routine is really six of one and a half dozen of the
other.  Between your day job and improving MS, you need some time to
just relax and have a life.  I'd hate to think of you burning yourself
out trying to support a dozen different installation paradigms.

Just my tuppence...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500