FreeBSD 7.0, MS, MW, ClamAV, 8gb with 64bit or 4 gb with 32bit

Michael Choo mcwh65 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 04:56:07 GMT 2008

I'm planning to build a new MailScanner sever to off load my current
server (FreeBSD 6.3 P4 2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb RAM, 2x80 GB gmirrored disks),
currently handling about 110K mails a day (90% rejected at MTA level).
Average CPU utilisation is about 60-80%

Am thinking of 64bit FreeBSD 7 on dual quad core Xeons (2.0Ghz) with
8GB RAM.

> Right now I'd be sticking with 32 bit - there's still a few gotcha's
> with some applications running in 64bit - MS isn't on of then, but
> some of the perl modules can have fun sometimes..

Are there any known instances of perl modules not behaving in 64bit
mode?

Anyone out here running Mailscanner on 64bit intel servers?

cheers
-Mike