Strange message !

tlum mailscanner.info at tedworld.com
Tue Mar 11 23:55:57 GMT 2008

"'/tmp/dbitrace.log" would be a safer "Default", but its
"'/root/dbitrace.log" in the distribution, and commented out in any
event so you have to take this statement as an example if you choose to
enable it. Even a junior sa should understand permissions well enough to
avoid that trap so I can't really squawk too loud about it. It was
glaringly obvious to me once I started actually paying attention.

For me this was a major upgrade of postfix/MailScanner/clam/dovecot and
new install of MailWatch. There were many problems along the way and a
lot of debugging got turned on to try and solve the issues, most all of
which had been dealt with. The only one left really was the DBI in the
mallog issue and since it looked like a DBI issue, it made sense to keep
DBI logging enabled... little did I realize at the time that WAS the
problem.

The only real problem left is the lousy performance of the NFS mount for
the mail boxes on this VMware image... but this is in no way related to
MailScanner so I'll spare this list my woes in this case.

Glenn Steen wrote:
> On 11/03/2008, tlum <mailscanner.info at tedworld.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes, DBI->trace() activates DBI logging globally once called - even
>>  though its only called from within "MailWatch,pm" - and ALL subsequent
>>  DBI is logged, not just MailWatch.
>>
>>  However, /root is NOT writable by any user but root unless you've messed
>>  with default permissions even on a Linux system... which this is. And,
>>  if you're running in jail then there is even less chance of it working.
>>
> ? You've messed with the path? "Default" for that one should be
> /tmp... Oh well, sloppy reading on my part:-).
>

>>  This was one of those unfortunate cases where enabling more debug
>>  logging in an attempt to resole unexplained problems simply resulted in
>>  more unexplained problems. The other poster is probably in the same boat.
>>

> Ok, so what was your initialproblem, and had you resolved it? Was it
> in any way related to DBI? What measures have you done, so far...
> Explain away, I'm sure we'll find something:-).
> (snip)
>
> Cheers

believed to be clean.