Spam Assasin Timeouts

Paul Houselander (SME) housey at sme-ecom.co.uk
Mon Mar 10 12:43:26 GMT 2008

Hi List

I get a few complaints from users that Spam has got through, quite often
when I investigate the message I can see in the logs that that SpamAssassin
timed out and therefore scored zero.

Looking at logwatch an average day I would see

20166 messages Scanned by MailScanner

170 SpamAssassin timeout(s)

Im just after tips as to how to troubleshoot/minimize timeouts, sometimes
ive managed to get a copy of the message and ran spamassasin -t -D < message
and it works and scores fine, I don't think its down to load as the load
average rarely goes above 3.00 on this server. I also run a caching name
server

Ive also tried upping the SpamAssasin timeout from 60 to 120?

Any other tips? I was thinking perhaps an option if spamassasin times out
the message could be put back in mqueue.in for a further attempt to scan the
message?

Kind Regards

Paul