Order in which MailScanner processes mail

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Mar 6 23:02:52 GMT 2008

Kevin Miller wrote:
> Alessandro Dentella wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>   i have a server with traffic of around 50/60.000 mail a day. Lately
>>   it is giving a great amount of problems in delay in which it
>> processes mail.
>>
>>   Some mail stay in the queue for as long as several hours, other are
>>   delivered in a couple of minutes. That creates real problems and I
>>   cannot understand why that happens.
>>

> I don't run postfix, but if memory serves, some folks have reported
> similar troubles when a corrupt file or non-queue file was found in the
> queue directories.  Sorry I can't remember more specifically, but you
> might check to see if some wayward file is in there that's choking the
> processing.  Maybe someone else that had such an issue can offer more
> details...

If you do suffer from this problem, it's probably the oldest (or very
nearly the oldest) file in the mqueue.in directory. So just sort by
date, "cd /var/spool/mqueue.in; ls -ltr | head -30" will probably show
you it. Still a few to go through, but it's a much shorter list than the
whole directory :-)

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng