Order in which MailScanner processes mail

Richard Frovarp richard.frovarp at sendit.nodak.edu
Thu Mar 6 22:36:53 GMT 2008

Alessandro Dentella wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   i have a server with traffic of around 50/60.000 mail a day. Lately it is
>   giving a great amount of problems in delay in which it processes mail.
>
>   Some mail stay in the queue for as long as several hours, other are
>   delivered in a couple of minutes. That creates real problems and I cannot
>   understand why that happens.
>
>   How can I investigate it?
>
>   Thanks in advance
>
>   sandro
>   *:-)

See in /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf

# If more messages are found in the queue than this, then switch to an
# "accelerated" mode of processing messages. This will cause it to stop
# scanning messages in strict date order, but in the order it finds them
# in the queue. If your queue is bigger than this size a lot of the time,
# then some messages could be greatly delayed. So treat this option as
# "in emergency only".
Max Normal Queue Size = 6000

As far as what is causing the queue to build up, you'll have to look at
scan times, memory usage, and that sort of thing to see if something is
giving you grief.