F-Prot 6 (and lack of speed thereof)

Rick Cooper rcooper at dwford.com
Wed Mar 5 23:33:51 GMT 2008

Not much, no. The f-protd expects http GET like syntax, it returns xml (even
the error codes) so I would think there will be a bit more to the parseing,
as well as building the command. The documentation reference properl url
encoded, and it requires the ?/& separators between arguments as well (of
course). And I really don't like the sound of this part:

"The Daemon Scanner is designed to automatically update itself by executing
itself when a new version is in place. The newly executed copy is will bind
to the next available port in it's range (by default 10200-10204) since the
outdated process stays alive for about 5 - 10 seconds. This is done to
guarantee that there is always at least one daemon available at any given
time. Clients are expected to cycle through the port range to find a live
Daemon Scanner when the one they were previously using dies."

How absolutely retarded is that? Here, lemme scan through a few ports
looking the currently active daemon, and oh yeah, it apparently will
disconnect even when there is an active session, if so we just start
scanning through the ports looking for something alive again.

Certainly nothing like clamd, or any other rational virus scanning daemon.

Rick

believed to be clean.