Message body lost when zip file quarrantined.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jun 30 22:40:22 IST 2008

MailScanner-4.70.7-1

I'm sorry if this is a well known issue or a FAQ. I tried googling the
list archives and didn't see anything that seemed relevant.

The issue is this:

MailScanner is scanning a message with an attached .zip archive which
contains a number of .bat and .bat.bak files, other files and even
another zip archive which contains a single .bat file.

Mailscanner detects all the .bat and .bat.bak files in the zip files,
sends a notice appropriately, and delivers the message with the
attachment removed. All well and good. The problems are:

1) not only the original .zip is quarantined, but so also are the
individual .bat, .bat.bak and .zip files extracted from the original
.zip (other files in the .zip with OK names are not). This is not a
major issue, but makes looking in the quarantine difficult as one
doesn't know what files were separately attached and what files were
just in the .zip.

2) The more serious issue is the original message body is also removed
from the delivered message, and it is not stored anywhere.