Can't install CentOS 5.2 update?

shuttlebox shuttlebox at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 14:33:47 IST 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 3:14 PM, Dave Jones <davejones70 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I know the MailScanner RPM install needs to be generic enough for multiple
> RPM-based distros, but it would be nice if the installer could somehow
> detect if a package is available from a repo and use that rather than having
> to force a compile of perl modules from a source RPM.  I think the source of
> all these conflicts comes from the MailScanner install.sh is forcing some
> perl
> packages that exist in repos.

In my opinion I think Julian should only publish the tar based
MailScanner, that's the code and we, as a community, can do whatever
we like with it. If there's a need to package specifically for RHEL
then someone will/should pick that up. It's not right that Julian
should have to make some "one-size-fits-all" package for the "most
common" platform. Lots of problems/work for something that has little
or nothing to do with MailScanner itself. If there's so many that uses
RPM-based distros that there's a need for one or more RPM-based
editions of MailScanner then the community should step up and fill
that need. Look at ClamAV, they only publish the source but links to
many third-party sources of binaries.

/peter (who packages MailScanner for Solaris)
--
Dave Barry  - "Camping is nature's way of promoting the motel business."