perl-Test-Simple needed earlier

Nerijus Baliunas nerijusb at dtiltas.lt
Wed Jun 25 23:15:47 IST 2008

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 10:27:31 +0100 Anthony Cartmell <ajcartmell at fonant.com> wrote:

> > It has dependencies (Test::Harness, which may in turn have other
> > dependencies). How far up the queue does it need to go?
>
> notice that MailScanner later also looks to see if it's needed.  So how
> high it needs to be will depend on what else is already installed. But it
> should probably (with Test::Harness above it, if that's a dependency) be
> nearer the top, perhaps even at the top?

I think so too, lots of perl modules need Test::Simple for 'make test'
(the ones I remember are Test::Pod and File::Temp?), so IMHO all
Test* modules should be at the top.

> remember whether "yum install perl-Test-Simple" also installed
> perl-Test-Harness, but it may well have done.

$ rpm -q --requires perl-Test-Simple
perl >= 0:5.004
perl >= 0:5.006
perl = 4:5.8.8-40.fc8
perl(Carp)
perl(Config)
perl(Exporter)
perl(Symbol)
perl(Test::Builder)
perl(Test::Builder::Module)
perl(Test::Builder::Tester)
perl(strict)
perl(vars)
perl-devel

perl-Test-Harness doesn't seem to have any deps, except perl:
$ rpm -q --requires perl-Test-Harness
/usr/bin/perl

$ rpm -q --whatprovides "perl(Carp)"
perl-5.8.8-40.fc8
$ rpm -q --whatprovides "perl(Config)"
perl-5.8.8-40.fc8
$ rpm -q --whatprovides "perl(Exporter)"
perl-5.8.8-40.fc8
$ rpm -q --whatprovides "perl(Symbol)"
perl-5.8.8-40.fc8
$ rpm -q --whatprovides "perl(Test::Builder)"
perl-Test-Simple-0.62-40.fc8
$ rpm -q --whatprovides "perl(Test::Builder::Module)"
perl-Test-Simple-0.62-40.fc8
$ rpm -q --whatprovides "perl(Test::Builder::Tester)"
perl-Test-Simple-0.62-40.fc8

# rpm -e perl-Test-Harness
error: Failed dependencies:
	perl(Test::Harness) is needed by (installed) perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.36-26.fc9.i386

So I think the installation could go like this:
perl-Test-Harness
perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker
perl-Test-Simple

Regards,