Upgrade of MailScanner

Martin.Hepworth martinh at solidstatelogic.com
Wed Jun 18 11:44:06 IST 2008

Slight variation..

1. login to the mailscanner computer and download the latest version of the software

2 .extract the archive with tar zxf MailScanner-install-<version>.tar.gz

3 cd to the directory extracted and su to root

4 run the installer which will put the files onto /opt/MailScanner-<version> an d install ant perl modules requires with ./install.sh

5 cd to the newly created directory in /opt and copy the rule files etc over from the running system:

6 cd /opt/MailScanner-<version>

7 cd ../lib/MailScanner/CustomFunctions

8 cp /opt/MailScanner/lib/MailScanner/CustomFunctions/MailWatch.pm .

9 cd ../../../etc/rules

10 cp /opt/MailScanner/etc/rules/*.rules .

11 cd ../reports/en

12 cp /opt/MailScanner/etc/reports/en/inline.sig.* .

13 cd ../../

14 cp /opt/MailScanner/etc/spam.assassin.prefs.conf .

15 finally merge in the existing settings file with the new one using the following:

16 ../bin/upgrade_MailScanner_conf /opt/MailScanner/etc/MailScanner.conf ./MailScanner.conf > MailScanner.new

17 mv MailScanner.conf MailScanner.old

18 mv MailScanner.new MailScanner.conf

The last stage is to run the new version rather than the old:

19 cd /opt

20 /usr/local/etc/rc.d/MailScanner.sh stop (or whatever you use to stop)

21 rm MailScanner

22 ln -s MailScanner-<newversion> MailScanner

23 /usr/local/etc/rc.d/MailScanner.sh start

Steps 19-23 are the only time when you need to stop MS, therefore downtime is pretty minimal

Backout if things go wrong is easy - redo 19-23 using the oldversion of MS rather than new version.
--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

Red Lion 49 Ltd T/A Solid State Logic