Upgrade of MailScanner

Craig Retief craig at csfs.co.za
Wed Jun 18 11:06:34 IST 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 11:02 +0200, Velda Midanovic wrote:
> I have a following combination : RH4, MailScanner 4.58.9, ClamAV,
> SmapAssassin, all working very well together.
>
> The problem is that I get quite some backscatter on some of my users,
> and since watermarking may solve at least some of my problems, I plant
> to use it.
>
> Alas!!!
>
> My version of MailScanner does not support watermarking....
>
> So I should upgrade. BUT I installed all from TAR packages. So how do
> I do it?

What I usually do is the following after downloading the tarball to your
server:

1.    disable the check_mailscanner command in crontab with #
2.    move the softlink in /opt like this :
        [root at host]# mv /opt/MailScanner /opt/MailScanner_4.58.9
3.    unpack Jules's TAR package
4.    Run the install.sh script
5.    change directory to /opt/MailScanner/etc and run the following
command:

[root at host]# ../bin/upgrade_MailScanner_conf /opt/MailScanner_4.58.9/etc/MailScanner.conf /opt/MailScanner/etc/MailScanner.conf > MailScanner.new
        [root at host]# vi MailScanner.new (here I check that all the
settings are still correct and see what new toys Jules added to the mix)
        [root at host]# mv MailScanner.conf MailScanner.old
        [root at host]# mv MailScanner.new MailScanner.conf
6.    change directory to reports/en and run the following command:

[root at host]# ../../../bin/upgrade_languages_conf /opt/MailScanner_4.58.9/etc/reports/en/languages.conf /opt/MailScanner/etc/reports/en/languages.conf > languages.new
        [root at host]# mv languages.conf languages.old
        [root at host]# mv languages.new languages.conf
        [root at host]# cp /opt/MailScanner_4.58.9/etc/reports/en/*.txt .
(note the dot)
        [root at host]# cp /opt/MailScanner_4.58.9/etc/reports/en/*.html .
(note the dot)
7. If using MailWatch, copy the SQLBlackWhiteList.pm and MailWatch.pm
files to the new install like this:
        [root at host]#
cd /opt/MailScanner/lib/MailScanner/CustomFunctions/
        [root at host]#
cp /opt/MailScanner_4.58.9/lib/MailScanner/CustomFunctions/SQLBlackWhiteList.pm /opt/MailScanner_4.58.9/lib/MailScanner/CustomFunctions/MailWatch.pm . (note the dot)
8.   That shoudl be about all, then you can run the follwing command and
monitor the log file for any errors:
    [root at host]# /opt/MailScanner/bin/check_mailscanner; tail
-f /var/log/maillog
9. Re-enable the cronjob if all went well

If I missed a step someone might like to point it out.

Cheers

Craig