MailScanner ANNOUNCE: 4.70.6 released

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jun 17 21:05:47 IST 2008

I have just released the latest stable version of MailScanner, version
4.70.6.

The main new features this time are:
- Now supports Mail::ClamAV 0.22, ClamAV 0.93.1, and SpamAssassin 3.2.5.
- New setting "Dont Sign HTML If Headers Exist" to provide finer control
over placement of HTML signatures.
- All known problems with Watermarks fixed.
- Improvements to filename and filetype checks to allow for common
mistakes in filename patterns.
- Added "ID Header" setting to allow the X-MailScanner-ID: header to be
customised or removed.
- Minor improvements to the phishing net.
- Improvement to checking of "Sophos Allowed Error Messages".

Download as usual from www.mailscanner.info.

The full Change Log is this:

* New Features and Improvements *
1 Improvement to OLE document unpacking code, more likely to extract
embedded
  files correctly.
1 Added new setting "Dont Sign HTML If Headers Exist" to provide finer
control
  over placement of HTML signatures. If any of the named headers exist in
  the message, the message is deemed to be a "reply", and so the HTML
  signature is not attached. By default this functionality is switched off
  by not specifying any header names.
2 Improvement to Filename and Filetype checks to catch mistakenly starting a
  regular expression with a "*" on its own, as in "*.pdf" or just "*".
2 Improved message reporting when Sophos finds password-protected zip
archives.
2 Now supports Mail::ClamAV 0.22 for ClamAV 0.93. You will need to
upgrade your
  ClamAV+SpamAssassin installation, using the download package I provide.
3 Improved update_bad_phishing_sites to support proxy_* environment
variables.
  Thanks to Heinz.Knutzen at dataport.de for this.
3 Improved upgrade_MailScanner_conf for ClamAV 0.93 and Mail::ClaAV 0.22.
3 Removed URIBL additions from spam.assassin.prefs.conf. They are in
  SpamAssassin by default now.
3 Improvements to handling of Watermarks to resolve various problems
with them.
3 Upgraded to ClamAV 0.93.1 in ClamAV+SpamAssassin easy-to-install package.
4 Added "-w" to suggested "diff" command in upgrade_MailScanner_conf. Thanks
  to Anthony Cartmell for this idea.
6 Changed Watermarking, so it only checks if there was a SMTP client IP
address
  as we don't want to block messages we generated on the MailScanner server.
6 Added "ID Header" setting so that you can choose whether or not you want
  the header showing the MailScanner message id value. If you don't want the
  header then set this to be blank.
6 Minor improvement to link detection in the phishing net.

* Fixes *
2 Silly mistake fixed in "Dont Sign HTML If Headers Exist" feature.
2 Fixed output text error in upgrade_MailScanner_conf.
3 Bugfixes to Watermark handling and logging.
4 More fixes to Watermark handling.
5 More fixes to Watermark handling, and a minor header change.
6 Made check for Sophos Allowed Error Messages case-insensitive.

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng

Contact me at Jules at Jules.FM