bayes expire questions

Dave Filchak submit at zuka.net
Tue Jun 17 18:05:40 IST 2008

I have been trying to figure out the best way to handle
bayes_toks.expire files. I have a large number of them in my bayes
directory (about 1.8 Gb worth) and was trying to understand if it was OK
to delete them. Turns out that it appears as though it is ok but their
presence in my bayes directory could indicate another issue with my
MailScanner set-up (this is on my secondary mail server so it sees most
of the spam). This 'issue' appears to be that it is taking too long to
expire the old records so MailScanner thinks it is hung and restarts???
So, based on some of the reading I did in the archives, I turned of
auto_expire in my spam.assassin.prefs file and upped the expire value in
my MailScanner.conf file to one day (86400). However, upon further
investigation, I noted that many simply turn this feature off in both
places and run sa-learn --rebuild --force-expire from a cron job. J

Just curious what most of you do? Which is better? We do not have overly
busy mail servers ... about 10K per day average.

thanks

Dave