Updating an adopted installation from 4.54

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 15:49:46 IST 2008

2008/6/17 Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com>:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 11:27:47AM +0200, Glenn Steen wrote:
>> That's pretty much how you upgrade the source dist too:-).
>> Install the new one to its own directory in /opt, use
>> upgrade_MailScanner_conf on the old file, copy over any modified
>> ruleset files... stop MS, relink to the new install, star
>> MailScanner... Did I miss anything? Don't think so:-)
>
> You missed that I don't know it as well as you do.  :-)
:-)

>> Install the new one to its own directory in /opt
>
> Check.  (well, actually, I'm putting it in /appl/ms4.69.3; FHS be
> damned.  :-)
Doesn't matter as lon as the link is where it should:-).

>> use upgrade_MailScanner_conf on the old file
>
> "On the old install"?  It sounds like you mean "run the upgrade script
> supplied with the new install against the old one".  Do you?
Sort of. You should run the upgrade script from the new install,
supplying the old MailScanner.conf as the old file, and the new
MailScanner.conf file as the "rpmnew" one:-). I *think* the upgrade
script will instruct you correctly if you run it without an argument.
It needs the new "default" file so that it can tell what options to
remove/add from the old one. It will print the new and improved
version on standard output, so just redirect that to a file
MailScanner.new, look through that one, so that it looks OK, then move
it into place on the new install.

>> copy over any modified ruleset files...
>
> from the old install to the new one...?
Yep.

>> stop MS, relink to the new install, start MailScanner...
>
> This part I *think* I get, but I'm not 100% certain how the Sendmail
> 8.13 -> MailScanner link works.  Is it in fact enough if I make sure
> that /opt/MailScanner points to the new install's home directory once
> I'm done?  Is the only interface through the filesystem?
Eh, all it means is that you need use whatever startup script to stop
MailScanner, do "rm /opt/MailScanner" to remove the symbolic link to
the old install, "ln -s /appl/ms4.69.3 /opt/MailScanner" to create the
symbolic link to the new install... and then use the same startup
script to actually start it running again.

Hope that clears any confusion:-)

> Cheers,
> -- jra

Cheers